Skip to main content

The Trailer Saga: End of Week #3 Updates

Monday saw us accomplishing all that we had hoped.  Right on schedule.  Neat, easy, clean.  Just the way I like it.  Electrical was rerouted, paneling and drywall were up for pantry.

Then Tuesday reminded us that when you do a remodel, there will ALWAYS be something that comes up that is unexpected.  A significantly larger area of rot.  Bummer.  Not a complete mess, given Dan's awesome construction skills, but certainly a bit of a set back.  Time to reevaluate our priorities and triage the to-do list...

Wednesday got us all prepped after a MASSIVE day of shopping for the "big items" on the remodel list. Slight hiccup with our 10% off coupon that the managers were reading us a line couldn't figure out.  The obviously super pregnant woman got OUT of the car to go back into the store to make them fix it explain the problem to them.  Our cashier was awesome, though, and was totally reasonable and smart and knew what to do from the get-go.  Management.  Psh.

Thursday, Friday, and Saturday got us out to the farm and alllllll the rot removed and partially repaired.  The roof was evaluated and we tried a few ways of repairing it.  One windy night later, and we had to regroup and rethink the repair--Dan decided on the simple tarring method and we'll just replace/update sooner rather than later (truly, it's a basic house maintenance thing after 15 years or so, so it's not that unexpected). The painting did NOT get done (*I will not freak out, I will not freak out) but essentially all the painting prep is done--new pretty bead-board up in the kitchen, most of the drywall fixed and replaced, all the old flooring removed for our new cherry floors. (I am SOOOO excited about that part!)

Little Helper Man
Goals for Week #4 : Monday, Feb 17th
  • (M) Finish hooking up water lines.  Do drain line rerouting
  • (T) Finish last of the demo and painting prep. Drywall in the kitchen and living room.  Move the hot water heater in prep for paint.  Patch roof.
  • (W) Get prepped for our "work weekend" and recover from my night shifts.
  • (H) Prime the rooms that flooring is going into.
  • (F) Re-install light fixtures and lay flooring.
  • (S) Prime remaining rooms while Dan builds the kitchens.
Can we do it?!?!?!  We only have one more full week after this to get everything ready for the big move-in!  I have my triaged mental list going and know what (and in what order) will wait if we don't get to it.  Overall, I'm hopeful to get it all done basically, but Mrs. Planner over here does WAY better when she has Scenarios A, B, C, D and E prepared in her brain.  It makes accepting Scenario D much more palatable when you're behind schedule. :)  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where have we been?!?!?!

Yes, blogging land, it has been a while.There's been a lot of transition for us in our little homestead, and nearly a year ago, we returned to the suburban life for the current time.Have we given up on our dreams of wide open spaces and green acres?  Certainly not.Is homesteading still something we love or would love to do? Definitely.Here's the thing. Homesteading is what you make and how you define it.  If you expect me to be a purist, you are far from mistaken about me.  My life is far from purist.  Bits and pieces of life are combined into a recipe that is of my own making and best suited to my own life priorities and goals. Do things sometimes get a bit mis-mashed and messy?  Yes.  But it is always worth re-tweaking and making something unique, beautiful, delicious.It's all in your priorities and goals.
 For me, having a manageable sized garden and quantity of produce is high.  Along with short commutes. And less stress.  And possible early retirement.  And extra time …

Taming the Consumerism Beast: My Minimalist Christmas

As we enter the holiday season, I have consciously been trying to be more mindful of the choices that I'm making and the example I'm setting.  Unfortunately, the holiday season has become part and parcel with excess--excess food, excess buying, excess debt, excess stress.
I want to do better.
The past year or two, I've been gradually shifting towards simplification and minimizing my life.  My schedule has been too busy, my home too cluttered, and my life just too stressed. And if we're honest, the holidays are no exception. We are consumer-minded, we don't budget for generosity, and we are wildly selfish, but carefully disguise this as generosity to our already well-provided for families, friends, and children (global perspective, people). 
I want to teach my children better.  And the only way I can accomplish this is to lead by example.
I want my children to learn that Thanksgiving is a time for gratitude, not over-indulgence. 
I want my kids to remember that Chr…

Looking back and Looking On: 2016 reflections and 2017 dreams

The blog has been quiet these days, but we've been busy behind the scenes.  At times, it feels like I get nothing done but keeping the kids alive and us semi-fed with healthy food, but we have been steadily plodding forward.  Here's where we've been. The Year of Simplify: 2016This past year really had me getting serious about taking stock of my life-how I spent my time, what was important to me, what I actually wanted to see and bring into my house.  I was getting pretty exhausted from working my 5th (yikes!) year on night-shift, raising two small children (with a third on the way!), and having "to-do" or "should-do" lists as long as my arm.  My home felt cluttered and overwhelmed as we were in-between two places for the past few years.  The extra space between two locations hadn't reaffirmed the "stuff purge" as I felt like I always had more space.  All in all, was juggling too much; I felt overcommitted--with work, with hobbies, with to-d…