Skip to main content

The Trailer Saga Begins!

We have been very passionate about getting debt-free and living frugally--and living out in the country.  It has ALWAYS been on our radar for years, but never thought that we'd be ready to make the jump for several more years. After some inspiration from our wonderful friends Kristin and Daniel (who are running an organic farm and spending their time, energy, and money managing and growing the business--very inspiring and encouraging to see it done, let me tell ya!), Dan and I have been seriously considering simplifying to a trailer, getting out of debt, and hunting for our forever property (then building our forever home SANS mortgage!).

"The rich rule over the poor and the borrower is slave to the lender."
Proverbs 22:7
I don't know about you, but this family doesn't want to be a slave to anyone!  A few weeks ago, I blogged more in depth about our reasons for the move to the trailer (click here if you missed it).  Let me tell ya, it's gotten some high praise--and raised eyebrows.  Certainly not a typical move for someone in my world!

And....DRUMROLL PLEASE!!!




There she is!  Our ticket to freedom!  (And I'm taking name suggestions!)

She's a very pretty 16x80 single wide trailer, 1999 Clayton. 3BR, 2BA. Has a jacuzzi tub (that we're removing for extra space) and comes with dishwasher, stove, fridge, washer, dryer, and some random furniture that the previous owner is leaving behind.  The previous owner is a non-smoking, maintenance-man, bachelor.  So it's been taken care of, is minimally lived it, and tidy--and meets Dan's approval for structural integrity.  The previous owner is very nice, gave us a fair price--then called us a few hours later to let us know that he actually needed $100 less for it than he was originally thinking.  Honest guy.  I like doing business with honest people.  The moving guy was highly recommended--and actually moved this very trailer to it's current location. AND, he moved another trailer off the location that it's going to.  Let me tell ya, that makes me feel MUCH more comfortable having a mover that knows the trailer, the start location, and the end location!  And did I mention that he was the cheapest by about $500!  The interior screams 1999 and as we get it ready and repainted, I'll be taking some pictures of the interior for y'all.  Given it's nice condition, I actually am scaling back a few of my "essentials" on remodeling for a trailer, so it will be a little bit of a work in progress, but then we can pay cash for those upgrades--and enjoy it that much more!

We found it less than 48 hours ago--and we're moving it in 24 hours!  When things are meant to be, they fall into place.

We. Are. Excited.  It's really finally happening!

Comments

  1. Great news Paige! So happy for you guys. You and Dan are truly inspirational. Where will you move the trailer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're moving it to some friends' farm locally to get out to the country while we look in their area for a farm of our own (and pay off some debt!).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Where have we been?!?!?!

Yes, blogging land, it has been a while.There's been a lot of transition for us in our little homestead, and nearly a year ago, we returned to the suburban life for the current time.Have we given up on our dreams of wide open spaces and green acres?  Certainly not.Is homesteading still something we love or would love to do? Definitely.Here's the thing. Homesteading is what you make and how you define it.  If you expect me to be a purist, you are far from mistaken about me.  My life is far from purist.  Bits and pieces of life are combined into a recipe that is of my own making and best suited to my own life priorities and goals. Do things sometimes get a bit mis-mashed and messy?  Yes.  But it is always worth re-tweaking and making something unique, beautiful, delicious.It's all in your priorities and goals.
 For me, having a manageable sized garden and quantity of produce is high.  Along with short commutes. And less stress.  And possible early retirement.  And extra time …

Taming the Consumerism Beast: My Minimalist Christmas

As we enter the holiday season, I have consciously been trying to be more mindful of the choices that I'm making and the example I'm setting.  Unfortunately, the holiday season has become part and parcel with excess--excess food, excess buying, excess debt, excess stress.
I want to do better.
The past year or two, I've been gradually shifting towards simplification and minimizing my life.  My schedule has been too busy, my home too cluttered, and my life just too stressed. And if we're honest, the holidays are no exception. We are consumer-minded, we don't budget for generosity, and we are wildly selfish, but carefully disguise this as generosity to our already well-provided for families, friends, and children (global perspective, people). 
I want to teach my children better.  And the only way I can accomplish this is to lead by example.
I want my children to learn that Thanksgiving is a time for gratitude, not over-indulgence. 
I want my kids to remember that Chr…

Looking back and Looking On: 2016 reflections and 2017 dreams

The blog has been quiet these days, but we've been busy behind the scenes.  At times, it feels like I get nothing done but keeping the kids alive and us semi-fed with healthy food, but we have been steadily plodding forward.  Here's where we've been. The Year of Simplify: 2016This past year really had me getting serious about taking stock of my life-how I spent my time, what was important to me, what I actually wanted to see and bring into my house.  I was getting pretty exhausted from working my 5th (yikes!) year on night-shift, raising two small children (with a third on the way!), and having "to-do" or "should-do" lists as long as my arm.  My home felt cluttered and overwhelmed as we were in-between two places for the past few years.  The extra space between two locations hadn't reaffirmed the "stuff purge" as I felt like I always had more space.  All in all, was juggling too much; I felt overcommitted--with work, with hobbies, with to-d…