Skip to main content

Moving Day

Things have been a little crazy here on the homestead.  With the recent passing of my dad, I wasn't sure how we were supposed to get everything accomplished in time--find and move a trailer, get it ready, move us, remodel our "town" house into a rental, have a baby....the to-do list was getting huge and being dominated by something entirely out of our control--finding a trailer.  It was getting to be a bit much--and we were running out of time. My pregnancy timer was starting to scream at me.  I really only have about 2 more months before I need to quit doing crazy things like remodel houses and move and unpack before I run a real risk of throwing myself into pre-term labor.  I decided to actually pound the pavement and actually drive through some mobile home parks near our "landing location."  And I stumbled upon a mobile home.

Like I said in a previous, it seemed like a perfect option for us. And our moving day couldn't have been better.  It was cold enough to keep the ground frozen to prevent ruts and getting stuck--but only as cold as it HAD to be for that.  No wind. No rain.  It got moved in time to not require the previous owner to pay lot rent at the mobile home park it was getting moved from. Our mover had actually moved this exact mobile home INTO the park, and had moved another one off the landing farm before, so he was familiar with both ends of the move.  And he was cheapest by far, not to mention good old country businessmen who deal with cash and handshakes.  Its been a long time since I've had that--and it was refreshing.

It was a great moving day and we couldn't have asked for it to have gone better.

Our friends' cute son, SOOOOO excited (nearly as much as myself!) to see a house MOVING!!!
We have been truly blessed. We love our mobile home and it has been the ideal for us in so many ways.  I can't wait to wipe away the traces of the 90s in it and start afresh.

We have a lot of great ideas for making it a very liveable--and growable--home for us, one that will last us a decade or more, hopefully.

We have worked nearly 30 hours to prepare and move it since finding it less than 72 hours before--on only 6 hours of rest in between.  And we have many more hours of work ahead of us.

But for tonight, we rest.  And we are thankful. We recognize the beautiful orchestration of so many things to make today not only possible, but a resounding success--and to allay my time crunch fears and put us back on schedule.  I can't say how many times we said "if we could just get a trailer by February 1st, I think we'll be ok on time." Friends, February 1st is in 90 minutes--and this is the first I've been able to chill and relax and decompress and relax in the past few days.
"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose." -- Romans 8:28
I love that verse, and am sad to always see or hear it in a somewhat negative light (i.e. even THIS annoyance or trial God uses for our good). But there are also times in which it is nothing but good.

And today has been good.

Our bovine welcome to the farm.  They were very curious about Dan's Jeep.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Looking back and Looking On: 2016 reflections and 2017 dreams

The blog has been quiet these days, but we've been busy behind the scenes.  At times, it feels like I get nothing done but keeping the kids alive and us semi-fed with healthy food, but we have been steadily plodding forward.  Here's where we've been. The Year of Simplify: 2016This past year really had me getting serious about taking stock of my life-how I spent my time, what was important to me, what I actually wanted to see and bring into my house.  I was getting pretty exhausted from working my 5th (yikes!) year on night-shift, raising two small children (with a third on the way!), and having "to-do" or "should-do" lists as long as my arm.  My home felt cluttered and overwhelmed as we were in-between two places for the past few years.  The extra space between two locations hadn't reaffirmed the "stuff purge" as I felt like I always had more space.  All in all, was juggling too much; I felt overcommitted--with work, with hobbies, with to-d…

Where have we been?!?!?!

Yes, blogging land, it has been a while.There's been a lot of transition for us in our little homestead, and nearly a year ago, we returned to the suburban life for the current time.Have we given up on our dreams of wide open spaces and green acres?  Certainly not.Is homesteading still something we love or would love to do? Definitely.Here's the thing. Homesteading is what you make and how you define it.  If you expect me to be a purist, you are far from mistaken about me.  My life is far from purist.  Bits and pieces of life are combined into a recipe that is of my own making and best suited to my own life priorities and goals. Do things sometimes get a bit mis-mashed and messy?  Yes.  But it is always worth re-tweaking and making something unique, beautiful, delicious.It's all in your priorities and goals.
 For me, having a manageable sized garden and quantity of produce is high.  Along with short commutes. And less stress.  And possible early retirement.  And extra time …

Taming the Consumerism Beast: My Minimalist Christmas

As we enter the holiday season, I have consciously been trying to be more mindful of the choices that I'm making and the example I'm setting.  Unfortunately, the holiday season has become part and parcel with excess--excess food, excess buying, excess debt, excess stress.
I want to do better.
The past year or two, I've been gradually shifting towards simplification and minimizing my life.  My schedule has been too busy, my home too cluttered, and my life just too stressed. And if we're honest, the holidays are no exception. We are consumer-minded, we don't budget for generosity, and we are wildly selfish, but carefully disguise this as generosity to our already well-provided for families, friends, and children (global perspective, people). 
I want to teach my children better.  And the only way I can accomplish this is to lead by example.
I want my children to learn that Thanksgiving is a time for gratitude, not over-indulgence. 
I want my kids to remember that Chr…