Wednesday, November 21, 2012

gDiapering updates

Dan and I were really excited about the gDiapers and everything was working great--until Peter magically hit about 11lbs.  He seemed to be right between sizes and he started leaking like mad.  I upped sizes, which seemed to help, but there were definitely a multitude of leaks and I had to keep him on his back during any nursing so as to avoid outfit changes for the both of us.

Thankfully, after some extensive research and help from some mommies on facebook, I had a bit of a lesson in cloth materials and their respective moisture absorbing capabilities. Apparently, the gCloth that we had been using works well for little micro pee's of little babies, but when they get bigger and start holding their bladder more, the hemp gets overwhelmed.  Ounce for ounce, hemp works a lot better than cotton as far as quantity of moisture absorbed, but it's a case of a tortise and the hare--slow and steady wins the race.  When you have a Speedy Gonzalez of a wetter, however, the hemp gets overwhelmed.  (Not to mention that microfleece requires some pressure that is lost went he's not laying on his back.)

Enter the good old stand-by, the prefold.  I finally tried some cotton prefolds by Osocozy, previously known by my non-CD'ing self as a burp rag. After some prepping and repeated washes, We did a prefold with a gCloth underneath and Eureka!  No more leaks!  Winning combination of the fast absorbing cotton prefold with the slow and steady hemp to prevent oversaturation of the cotton and we have a winner!  Now, we don't even want to use disposables anymore!  We have never had any poo blowouts with the cloth, pre or post insert changes.  We have had multiple blow-outs with standard disposables, though!  Dan is all for keeping poo where it needs to be and would rather go clothes shopping to accomodate the fluffier butt from the cloth diapers.

It's the little things.....