Skip to main content

Flower Pom-Poms

My sister-in-law and I have been discussing baby shower/bridal shower/decorating stuff the past few days.  I have like 5 weddings this year, and everyone she knows is popping out a baby it seems!  (Grace--I'm thinking cute wedding decor on the cheap here!)  Paper lanterns are cute, but a little pricey.  A 3-pack can be bought for about $5 at Hobby Lobby, but we were having some issues finding some cheaper alternatives for the pom-poms.

This tutorial by Martha Stewart is exactly what I did as a kid to make some flowers.  However, at 20 sheets of paper per flower, that's around $2.50 each flower.  And I even checked at my local dollar store--they were more expensive on tissue paper.  I'd like to make more of a statement than my budget would allow (i.e. there's no way I'm going to spend more than $10 on little paper flowers--especially not for just 4 of them).  Hannah suggested coffee filters (which would also be a bit more resilient than tissue paper--my childhood poms got a little beat up pretty quickly), so a little research got me a few hits.  For any of my pom-poms, tons of gluesticks and tedious individual gluing of petals onto some ball was NOT my idea of a good alternative.  Too much time for sure.   Here's what I found.

1. Peony Pom-Pom Flowers with coffee filters.

This one comes with a complete instruction set on how to dye the filters--not individually hand paint them (i.e. time consuming!) like some other tutorials. If you combine that with a clothes dryer drying technique from one of the other pins, you could do this pretty quickly.

Six coffee filters/flower plus some masking tape and drinking straws per flower--I went to the dollar tree, $1 for 160 filters, 180 straws for $1, and green florist tape for $ (90 yards).  I had thought of using food dye instead of paint.  I think I have some of this lying around.

The math...  $0.04/flower in filters + $0.01/flower (not even) in straws + $0.05/flower in tape (probably being generous) = $0.10/flower.  WAY better than the $2.50/flower of tissue paper!



2. Coffee Filter Garland.

This lady did 10 filters/pom-pom and strung them up as a garland.  Looks SUPER easy!  She gives the dryer method for crinkling the pom-poms--again easy and FAST.  You could use the dyeing method from #1 above to color them, then just staple, staple, string!   EVEN cheaper--maybe $0.50/pom-pom, even if you take into consideration having to buy some kind of awesome string--though I'm sure anything would work.  Think small gauge rope from Lowe's or Home Depot.

The math... $0.07/flower in filters + whatever your string cost you = again, around $0.10/flower.


3. Coffee Filter Flowers

This one sorta combined a few things.  However, I think the dyeing method from #1, plus the drying method from #2, plus the assembly on this one would definitely work--and you'd probably have less time-intensive construction as compared to the masking tape from the Peonies  (#1 above), since you're just using like embroidery thread to put them all together.  She also used the LARGE filters--the ones that you use for the commercial coffee makers.  Still, if you use the regular ones, you'll just get smaller poms--and let's say you use 30 of the regular filter as opposed to her 40...

The math.. $0.21/flower in filters + whatever you embroidery floss stuff cost = I'm sure < $0.50/flower.


I actually just bough 320 filters, some green florist tape, straws, and have staples, string, and floss around the house. I'll let you know how they turn out!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where have we been?!?!?!

Yes, blogging land, it has been a while.There's been a lot of transition for us in our little homestead, and nearly a year ago, we returned to the suburban life for the current time.Have we given up on our dreams of wide open spaces and green acres?  Certainly not.Is homesteading still something we love or would love to do? Definitely.Here's the thing. Homesteading is what you make and how you define it.  If you expect me to be a purist, you are far from mistaken about me.  My life is far from purist.  Bits and pieces of life are combined into a recipe that is of my own making and best suited to my own life priorities and goals. Do things sometimes get a bit mis-mashed and messy?  Yes.  But it is always worth re-tweaking and making something unique, beautiful, delicious.It's all in your priorities and goals.
 For me, having a manageable sized garden and quantity of produce is high.  Along with short commutes. And less stress.  And possible early retirement.  And extra time …

Taming the Consumerism Beast: My Minimalist Christmas

As we enter the holiday season, I have consciously been trying to be more mindful of the choices that I'm making and the example I'm setting.  Unfortunately, the holiday season has become part and parcel with excess--excess food, excess buying, excess debt, excess stress.
I want to do better.
The past year or two, I've been gradually shifting towards simplification and minimizing my life.  My schedule has been too busy, my home too cluttered, and my life just too stressed. And if we're honest, the holidays are no exception. We are consumer-minded, we don't budget for generosity, and we are wildly selfish, but carefully disguise this as generosity to our already well-provided for families, friends, and children (global perspective, people). 
I want to teach my children better.  And the only way I can accomplish this is to lead by example.
I want my children to learn that Thanksgiving is a time for gratitude, not over-indulgence. 
I want my kids to remember that Chr…

Looking back and Looking On: 2016 reflections and 2017 dreams

The blog has been quiet these days, but we've been busy behind the scenes.  At times, it feels like I get nothing done but keeping the kids alive and us semi-fed with healthy food, but we have been steadily plodding forward.  Here's where we've been. The Year of Simplify: 2016This past year really had me getting serious about taking stock of my life-how I spent my time, what was important to me, what I actually wanted to see and bring into my house.  I was getting pretty exhausted from working my 5th (yikes!) year on night-shift, raising two small children (with a third on the way!), and having "to-do" or "should-do" lists as long as my arm.  My home felt cluttered and overwhelmed as we were in-between two places for the past few years.  The extra space between two locations hadn't reaffirmed the "stuff purge" as I felt like I always had more space.  All in all, was juggling too much; I felt overcommitted--with work, with hobbies, with to-d…