Skip to main content

Paige's Highlights

It's been a while, but I've been tucking away all of my links and interesting things that I've found!  Dan and I are chomping at the bit to start using all this knowledge and information.  Hopefully a house will be in the works coming up in late winter or early spring!

1. Reusable Canning Lids.  First of all, genius.  I always hated the whole concept of having to get new canning lids each year--it just seemed like such a waste.  Then who knows about the whole BPA thing.  Personally, I try not to get too up in arms about random hype and such because they always seem to go back and forth about random things--chocolate is good, chocolate is bad--for example.  Regardless, reusable=cheaper in my opinion (with enough years of use) and you have the added benefit of it being BPA free.  Very nice!  Here's a link to the Tattler Reusable Canning Lids. And, Granny Miller (click #1 above) is an awesome blogger!  Visit her blog while you're there! 


2. Staying Healthy with Flu Season Incoming.  Mother Earth News has a great article as a refresher of all the stuff we know is healthy for us.  Also, at the end, it has one of my favorite things--the Hygiene Hypothesis!  I am a firm believer that growing up in too sanitary environments is bad for your health and a good dose of exposure to germs makes for a sufficiently well-occupied immune system.  Just like livestock with nothing of interest, a bored immune system gets you in trouble with allergies, asthma, eczema and other atopy-related illnesses!  I have made it very well known that I intent in making sure my children climb trees, eat the occasional mud pie, and get exposed to every sick child in a 20 mile radius.  Dan grew up in a family of eight, lived in a foreign country, and went to public school and EXTREMELY rarely gets sick!  (As I type this, I believe he's getting his annual cold, though.)


3. Garlic Bounty.  Dan and I LOVE our Italian foods. We could just about live on pasta, bread, tomatoes, peppers, onions, and garlic--along with the smattering of basil, oregano, thyme, and parsley.  One thing that we have both grown to LOVE cooking with is garlic, but I had always heard that it was less than satisfying growing garlic in more temperate climates, as the growing season is too short.  The mammoth bulbs at the market are all grown in California long seasons.  However, as this article from MEN shows, it's all in the planting time!  When you get out there to plant your hairy vetch and winter rye, plant your garlic!  Honestly, it makes sense!  This is planting time for the daffodils, tulips and other bulbs...why not for garlic! :)

4. Roasting Garlic.  Since you'll be growing all those beautiful bulbs of garlic, roasted garlic will be a great way to use them all up!  These directions from MEN remind me somewhat of the Braised Onions that I made a while back.  Delicious!  And, A toaster oven would be an excellent way to prep a small amount of these....


5. Home Office.  With my work having me on the computer a decent amount and being an absolute lover of all things organization, I loved this article from BHG.  All of the use for kitchen items, the bread-box turned cell-phone charger, and spray painted file cabinets were personal favorites.  Especially since Dan and I have planned on having our office occupy a corner of our dining room one day, I thought the kitchen/silverware elements would be perfect!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where have we been?!?!?!

Yes, blogging land, it has been a while.There's been a lot of transition for us in our little homestead, and nearly a year ago, we returned to the suburban life for the current time.Have we given up on our dreams of wide open spaces and green acres?  Certainly not.Is homesteading still something we love or would love to do? Definitely.Here's the thing. Homesteading is what you make and how you define it.  If you expect me to be a purist, you are far from mistaken about me.  My life is far from purist.  Bits and pieces of life are combined into a recipe that is of my own making and best suited to my own life priorities and goals. Do things sometimes get a bit mis-mashed and messy?  Yes.  But it is always worth re-tweaking and making something unique, beautiful, delicious.It's all in your priorities and goals.
 For me, having a manageable sized garden and quantity of produce is high.  Along with short commutes. And less stress.  And possible early retirement.  And extra time …

Looking back and Looking On: 2016 reflections and 2017 dreams

The blog has been quiet these days, but we've been busy behind the scenes.  At times, it feels like I get nothing done but keeping the kids alive and us semi-fed with healthy food, but we have been steadily plodding forward.  Here's where we've been. The Year of Simplify: 2016This past year really had me getting serious about taking stock of my life-how I spent my time, what was important to me, what I actually wanted to see and bring into my house.  I was getting pretty exhausted from working my 5th (yikes!) year on night-shift, raising two small children (with a third on the way!), and having "to-do" or "should-do" lists as long as my arm.  My home felt cluttered and overwhelmed as we were in-between two places for the past few years.  The extra space between two locations hadn't reaffirmed the "stuff purge" as I felt like I always had more space.  All in all, was juggling too much; I felt overcommitted--with work, with hobbies, with to-d…

Taming the Consumerism Beast: My Minimalist Christmas

As we enter the holiday season, I have consciously been trying to be more mindful of the choices that I'm making and the example I'm setting.  Unfortunately, the holiday season has become part and parcel with excess--excess food, excess buying, excess debt, excess stress.
I want to do better.
The past year or two, I've been gradually shifting towards simplification and minimizing my life.  My schedule has been too busy, my home too cluttered, and my life just too stressed. And if we're honest, the holidays are no exception. We are consumer-minded, we don't budget for generosity, and we are wildly selfish, but carefully disguise this as generosity to our already well-provided for families, friends, and children (global perspective, people). 
I want to teach my children better.  And the only way I can accomplish this is to lead by example.
I want my children to learn that Thanksgiving is a time for gratitude, not over-indulgence. 
I want my kids to remember that Chr…