Skip to main content

My Cooking Revelation

I had heard about the new cookbook--Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day.  But I most assuredly thought it was one of those, too-good-to-be-true scenarios.  I was wonderfully proven wrong.

Using their Master Recipe, Dan and I whipped up bread that was of equal quality as any I had slaved, punched, kneaded, pounded, shaped, let rise, punched, kneaded again, and baby-sat all day long.  But this one, really did only take me 5 minutes of my active attention--and no more than 5 pieces (container, measuring cups, spoon, and baking dish) of dishes of clean-up.   After some initial trepidation about buying the book or not, as we smelled that first loaf baking in the oven, we hovered over the "place order" button.  That first bite it was clinched it for us.




Here are links to other great recipes on their website!  I hope you enjoy exploring as much as I do!!! (One of the things that I love about them, is that they very commonly use honey as a sweetener, if the recipe even calls for it, as opposed to sugar or other non-farm-produceable items!)

Apple Pear Coffee Cake
Apple, Ham, and Blue Cheese Tart
Brioche, Whole Wheat
Brotchen, German-Style Rolls
Challah Bread
Chocolate Bread
Grilled Flatbread
Pumpernickle, Whole Grain
Soft Pretzels
Sweet Provecal Flatbread with Anise Seeds 

And when I'm more adventurous... (btw, they mentioned that you can substitute Brioche for puff pastry in recipes...definitely something I'd like to do in my own cooking rather than paying for the store-bought stuff!)

Julia Child's Beef Wellington with Brioche Crust 

Comments

  1. Oh, Paige,
    I have been so tempted to buy this book! I am glad to hear you like it. I will add it to my list of things to purchase later down the road!
    thanks for the links. I am going to try the homemade soft pretzels...I can smell them now.
    love ya,
    julie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Where have we been?!?!?!

Yes, blogging land, it has been a while.There's been a lot of transition for us in our little homestead, and nearly a year ago, we returned to the suburban life for the current time.Have we given up on our dreams of wide open spaces and green acres?  Certainly not.Is homesteading still something we love or would love to do? Definitely.Here's the thing. Homesteading is what you make and how you define it.  If you expect me to be a purist, you are far from mistaken about me.  My life is far from purist.  Bits and pieces of life are combined into a recipe that is of my own making and best suited to my own life priorities and goals. Do things sometimes get a bit mis-mashed and messy?  Yes.  But it is always worth re-tweaking and making something unique, beautiful, delicious.It's all in your priorities and goals.
 For me, having a manageable sized garden and quantity of produce is high.  Along with short commutes. And less stress.  And possible early retirement.  And extra time …

Taming the Consumerism Beast: My Minimalist Christmas

As we enter the holiday season, I have consciously been trying to be more mindful of the choices that I'm making and the example I'm setting.  Unfortunately, the holiday season has become part and parcel with excess--excess food, excess buying, excess debt, excess stress.
I want to do better.
The past year or two, I've been gradually shifting towards simplification and minimizing my life.  My schedule has been too busy, my home too cluttered, and my life just too stressed. And if we're honest, the holidays are no exception. We are consumer-minded, we don't budget for generosity, and we are wildly selfish, but carefully disguise this as generosity to our already well-provided for families, friends, and children (global perspective, people). 
I want to teach my children better.  And the only way I can accomplish this is to lead by example.
I want my children to learn that Thanksgiving is a time for gratitude, not over-indulgence. 
I want my kids to remember that Chr…

Looking back and Looking On: 2016 reflections and 2017 dreams

The blog has been quiet these days, but we've been busy behind the scenes.  At times, it feels like I get nothing done but keeping the kids alive and us semi-fed with healthy food, but we have been steadily plodding forward.  Here's where we've been. The Year of Simplify: 2016This past year really had me getting serious about taking stock of my life-how I spent my time, what was important to me, what I actually wanted to see and bring into my house.  I was getting pretty exhausted from working my 5th (yikes!) year on night-shift, raising two small children (with a third on the way!), and having "to-do" or "should-do" lists as long as my arm.  My home felt cluttered and overwhelmed as we were in-between two places for the past few years.  The extra space between two locations hadn't reaffirmed the "stuff purge" as I felt like I always had more space.  All in all, was juggling too much; I felt overcommitted--with work, with hobbies, with to-d…