Skip to main content

Paige's Highlights

1. Solar Drying. Yes, again, Mother Earth News got me down another rabbit trail with their article. In it they mentioned a book for a plan, but I wanted to see what was already out there for free. I did find some really nice plans on the internet (this link has TONS of links to different plans and also for solar cookers) for various styles of solar dryers. I like this one the best. And here's a better picture I found of it, since this is just a drawing and had spanish translation to boot. haha. Not a bad translation job, I must say. :) Also, I found one at a Mozambique technical school that used this style and they just had a piece of clear plastic in place of the glass sheet.

And a view of the back...I like the little drawers as adjustable vents.
2. Bird and Bat Houses. Birds like Bluebirds, Purple Martins, Swallows, and the tag-along Bat are all great controls for bugs and mosquitoes. I remember my 4-H project of building a bluebird house. To be honest, it was somewhat overkill, but it looked really pretty. I'm not sure that we ever got it outside to start housing birds...I seem to remember hanging it one year, but I think my Dad had to take it down a few years ago because the pole was in the way. Regardless, here's a pdf file from the Ohio Department of Natural Resources for building all these houses. They always had lots of papers of these at the Ohio State Fair--and I think we got a new set every year. :) Personally I like the following pages for specific birds a bit more, but the pdf file is more complete.
3. Harness Goats. Dan has always wanted to get a goat, even as just a pet and I've always agreed that they were interesting creatures. We have already decided, however, that we wanted to get a cow for milk and I wasn't so sure about trying goat milk--especially when cow is available. So, what else could a goat do on the farm if not milk. Well, pull a cart! This link gives a nice run down of training a goat, though I imagine that it's not much harder than training a dog. You just have to go slow, be persistent and be committed to daily training. As far as a wagon goes, I think converting a Whizbang Garden Cart would work, and this goat herder has another option for converting most any wagon.

4. Good Debate/Discussion. Ok, a couple of weeks ago I had a bit of a rant about our food supply. I'm not going to repeat my sentiments here, but if you're interesting in finding out more, here are a couple of links to get you going on some more documentaries. The Future of Food and King Corn can both be a bit on the heavy/depressing side. What I love about people passionate to truly make a change is that they present a solution--Food, Inc. and FRESH (though I still need to see the full films) are much more positive and inspiring films that aim to provide a solution to the problem. Where the first two served to grab our attention and note a problem, Michael Pollan and Joel Salatin also make appearances in other films that present a solution. This isn't just about garnering attention from conflict, which is so often how the media works because conflict sells, it's REALLY about bringing some change. Enjoy and keep talking.... :)
Food, Inc. Trailer (1)
Food, Inc. Trailer (2)
The Future of Food (trailer)
The Future of Food (full video, compliments of hulu.com)
Link to my post about King Corn
FRESH, the Moive (trailer)

5. Preserving Eggs. Here's an excerpt from one of the Mother Earth News articles from the 70s. I had heard about preserving eggs, in the shell for long periods of time, but that always gave me the heeby-jeebies! I like the sound of this one better--just be sure to label your whole eggs "sweet" and "salty." Definitely a solution to the times when you're up to your ears in eggs!

It happens every summer! The hens are laying the most eggs they'll produce all year . . . just at the time that you're too busy to cook or bake with them. That's your signal to freeze the surplus hen fruit for use during the coming winter (when you'll have more time in the kitchen but your feathered ladies will be taking their annual vacation from the production of eggs).

WHOLE EGGS: Fork the eggs together lightly without beating in air. Add either three teaspoons of honey or one-half teaspoon of salt to each cup of egg. YOLKS: Add either one teaspoon of salt or one tablespoon of honey (depending on your later intended use) to each cup of yolk. (And be sure to label each batch of the preserved yellows so you won't mix them up.) WHITES: Freeze plain. There's no need to stabilize with honey or salt.

Package meal-sized quantities of the whole or separated eggs in covered containers, date each one, and use its contents within eight months. When reconstituting the thawed eggs, one tablespoon of yolk plus two tablespoons of white—or three tablespoons of whole egg—is the equivalent of one hen fruit, straight from the shell.

Comments

  1. Have you seen pictures of those gelatinous green thousand year old eggs? GROSS. This does sound a bit better, but I wonder what they would actually taste like after they have been frozen. Also, with the hispanic population in KY meat goats can be profitable. Or making artisan soaps from goats milk has potential. I'm liking your highlights every week! :) Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Noooo...ewwwwww...that sounds gross. Well, I'm not so sure that I'd want to eat them scrambled and I'd definitely miss my eggs sunny-side up, but for cooking, quiches, etc, it sounds like an option!

    Hmm...I've never heard of the hispanic population being a huge consumer of goat. So, you're telling me that there's enough latino's around that I can keep my spanish fresh? :)

    Glad you're enjoying the little tid-bits!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Looking back and Looking On: 2016 reflections and 2017 dreams

The blog has been quiet these days, but we've been busy behind the scenes.  At times, it feels like I get nothing done but keeping the kids alive and us semi-fed with healthy food, but we have been steadily plodding forward.  Here's where we've been. The Year of Simplify: 2016This past year really had me getting serious about taking stock of my life-how I spent my time, what was important to me, what I actually wanted to see and bring into my house.  I was getting pretty exhausted from working my 5th (yikes!) year on night-shift, raising two small children (with a third on the way!), and having "to-do" or "should-do" lists as long as my arm.  My home felt cluttered and overwhelmed as we were in-between two places for the past few years.  The extra space between two locations hadn't reaffirmed the "stuff purge" as I felt like I always had more space.  All in all, was juggling too much; I felt overcommitted--with work, with hobbies, with to-d…

Where have we been?!?!?!

Yes, blogging land, it has been a while.There's been a lot of transition for us in our little homestead, and nearly a year ago, we returned to the suburban life for the current time.Have we given up on our dreams of wide open spaces and green acres?  Certainly not.Is homesteading still something we love or would love to do? Definitely.Here's the thing. Homesteading is what you make and how you define it.  If you expect me to be a purist, you are far from mistaken about me.  My life is far from purist.  Bits and pieces of life are combined into a recipe that is of my own making and best suited to my own life priorities and goals. Do things sometimes get a bit mis-mashed and messy?  Yes.  But it is always worth re-tweaking and making something unique, beautiful, delicious.It's all in your priorities and goals.
 For me, having a manageable sized garden and quantity of produce is high.  Along with short commutes. And less stress.  And possible early retirement.  And extra time …

Taming the Consumerism Beast: My Minimalist Christmas

As we enter the holiday season, I have consciously been trying to be more mindful of the choices that I'm making and the example I'm setting.  Unfortunately, the holiday season has become part and parcel with excess--excess food, excess buying, excess debt, excess stress.
I want to do better.
The past year or two, I've been gradually shifting towards simplification and minimizing my life.  My schedule has been too busy, my home too cluttered, and my life just too stressed. And if we're honest, the holidays are no exception. We are consumer-minded, we don't budget for generosity, and we are wildly selfish, but carefully disguise this as generosity to our already well-provided for families, friends, and children (global perspective, people). 
I want to teach my children better.  And the only way I can accomplish this is to lead by example.
I want my children to learn that Thanksgiving is a time for gratitude, not over-indulgence. 
I want my kids to remember that Chr…