Skip to main content

I think I've found a little bit of heaven...

Ok, maybe that's pushing it a bit, but what else is a girl, longing for the country and some good time playing in the dirt, climbing a few trees, and feeding some animals do when she's cooped up in suburbia, sad to see her last bits of summer slipping away to the ever encroaching Northern New England winter? DREAM! And for those of you who know me at all--PLAN! (No comment, Dan. *stern look*)

So, as I sit in my little apartment on my day off, with really not too much to do and all by my lonesome since the man is bringing home the bacon--Dan's been visibly getting stressed by all the food I've been cooking up the past few days and the ritual of trying to find SOMEWHERE in our undersized refrigerator for all the leftovers has left him more frazzled after countless times of doing the dance. You know--the dance when you have to jump like a spider on a hot stove when a frozen block of something you thought was nicely wedged in actually was just waiting for your unsuspecting feet the next time you opened the door. Cooking is out. (Bruised toes of the Rohe household, rejoice!)

What else could I do? My garden consists of a couple of pots on our patio. Yard work--basically non-existent. The house could be cleaned or organized a bit, but that might take me all of 20 minutes if I dawdle..... *sigh*

We'll I guess I'll see how long I'll be satisfied by living vicariously through the blogs of those fortunate enough to be in their bit of pastoral paradise, errr...that is...surfing the web, finding good websites and adding to my "master lists"--aka, my poorly-veiled effort to keep all my websites of knowledge organized (please don't roll your eyes....I quit arranging my t-shirts by color in junior high) and accessible for when the day comes when I have my quarter-acre garden and my family threatens to leave unless I find a way to DO something with all those random buckets/crates/laundry baskets of produce that I just hauled into the house.

Speaking of which, check out all the "Paige's Favorites" links. I've added some to them!

Buuut...back to my bit of heaven...

"How to Butcher a Chicken"


Now I know you're thinking, "C'mon Paige, this is the best you can do? A website ENTITLED how to butcher a chicken." Well, this not only has the best description of chicken butchering (for the more squeamish or less poultry processing minded amongst you), it also has plans/links for constructing foot operated sink spigots, a chicken-tractor design that I REALLY like (hint, hint, Dan. And yes, I would be fine with this for a Valentine's gift or something one day. Just in time for spring chicks! Aren't I an AWESOME wife! Chicken tractors for major holidays, lol. ;) ), home-made apple cider presses, the instructions for curing garlic (be still your heart, Dan!), and making said apple cider, apple cider vinegar, and garlic powder. And on top of it--LOTS of pictures, diagrams, and explanations. Aaaaannnd...it's free, so I get to spend a day all to myself and not spend a dime--aren't I a good wife. :)

Comments

  1. Back when we butchered our first chicken this website took us through it step by step--we had no prior knowledge and we successfully dressed a chicken It's too bad none of our grandparents or great aunts were willing to come out and teach us personally... I didn't know there were instructions for a cider press though. I'll be checking that out soon :) Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aimee,

    Dan and I have become positive addicts of The Deliberate Agrarian! He has whole guides on maple sugaring and his experience with making cider presses---and cider vinegar, and garlic powder, and growing comfrey (I HIGHLY recommend the article on it from Mother Earth news), and mangle beets for additional high-protein fodder, and...and...and... He shows enough of the press and the process that you could probably figure it out on your own (and he states that that's partly his purpose--to make it accessible enough that people will start doing it), but he's already been such a blessing that I think Dan and I are going to just go ahead and buy his plan book. He's WONDERFUL! Oh, and chicken tractor designs and raising turkeys! I'm in blogger love, let's just say!

    How's the family?

    Paige

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Where have we been?!?!?!

Yes, blogging land, it has been a while.There's been a lot of transition for us in our little homestead, and nearly a year ago, we returned to the suburban life for the current time.Have we given up on our dreams of wide open spaces and green acres?  Certainly not.Is homesteading still something we love or would love to do? Definitely.Here's the thing. Homesteading is what you make and how you define it.  If you expect me to be a purist, you are far from mistaken about me.  My life is far from purist.  Bits and pieces of life are combined into a recipe that is of my own making and best suited to my own life priorities and goals. Do things sometimes get a bit mis-mashed and messy?  Yes.  But it is always worth re-tweaking and making something unique, beautiful, delicious.It's all in your priorities and goals.
 For me, having a manageable sized garden and quantity of produce is high.  Along with short commutes. And less stress.  And possible early retirement.  And extra time …

Taming the Consumerism Beast: My Minimalist Christmas

As we enter the holiday season, I have consciously been trying to be more mindful of the choices that I'm making and the example I'm setting.  Unfortunately, the holiday season has become part and parcel with excess--excess food, excess buying, excess debt, excess stress.
I want to do better.
The past year or two, I've been gradually shifting towards simplification and minimizing my life.  My schedule has been too busy, my home too cluttered, and my life just too stressed. And if we're honest, the holidays are no exception. We are consumer-minded, we don't budget for generosity, and we are wildly selfish, but carefully disguise this as generosity to our already well-provided for families, friends, and children (global perspective, people). 
I want to teach my children better.  And the only way I can accomplish this is to lead by example.
I want my children to learn that Thanksgiving is a time for gratitude, not over-indulgence. 
I want my kids to remember that Chr…

Looking back and Looking On: 2016 reflections and 2017 dreams

The blog has been quiet these days, but we've been busy behind the scenes.  At times, it feels like I get nothing done but keeping the kids alive and us semi-fed with healthy food, but we have been steadily plodding forward.  Here's where we've been. The Year of Simplify: 2016This past year really had me getting serious about taking stock of my life-how I spent my time, what was important to me, what I actually wanted to see and bring into my house.  I was getting pretty exhausted from working my 5th (yikes!) year on night-shift, raising two small children (with a third on the way!), and having "to-do" or "should-do" lists as long as my arm.  My home felt cluttered and overwhelmed as we were in-between two places for the past few years.  The extra space between two locations hadn't reaffirmed the "stuff purge" as I felt like I always had more space.  All in all, was juggling too much; I felt overcommitted--with work, with hobbies, with to-d…