Skip to main content

Renting, oh how I hate thee...

With it being August 1st yesterday, I wrote out yet another check for rent. Now, don't get me wrong, I very much like our apartment, our land-lord is great, and it's been a perfect location for Dan and I. However, it gets my gall to know that we flushing $18,000 down the drain over the two years we'll be in Maine on a ONE BEDROOM APARTMENT. And we're never going to see a penny back of that--ever. No equity, not even positive scores on our credit report for on-time payments....nothing. However, I am VERY excited that I only have to write that check 9 more times! And I refuse to ever rent ever, ever again!

Now, how can Dan and I expect to do that with moving 1,100 miles to Kentucky, being in full-swing of rotations and never having a break long enough in which to find a house, much less make an offer and close and all that loveliness? Well, our wonderful friends have bought a piece of land and have decided to live in a very large camper for about a year--and have offered the same to us! :)

So, as of June 2010, Dan and I will be buying a trailer for about $4,000--which we will OWN, and will have intrinsic value and can be resold if we want to. And basically pay water and electricity hook-up costs and "parking"--none of which I see as paying rent. It's a mutual blessing for both us, not to mention being neighbors to some of my favorite people! :)

And sorry, Dan, but no drooling. We can't afford a classic car to haul our camper with, haha. ;)

Comments

  1. Do you have a lead on a camper yet?
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not yet. But I found like 5 or 6 on craigslist.com down in KY in that price range, so they should be around.

    Also, we're cooking blueberry roly-poly :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, I want a piece!!!! Be sure to get the recipe again and watch the "pro" carefully. Give our love to all...Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a cool looking trailer that the car is towing, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Although it looks small...

    ReplyDelete
  6. meh, too many comments. Sorry

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Looking back and Looking On: 2016 reflections and 2017 dreams

The blog has been quiet these days, but we've been busy behind the scenes.  At times, it feels like I get nothing done but keeping the kids alive and us semi-fed with healthy food, but we have been steadily plodding forward.  Here's where we've been. The Year of Simplify: 2016This past year really had me getting serious about taking stock of my life-how I spent my time, what was important to me, what I actually wanted to see and bring into my house.  I was getting pretty exhausted from working my 5th (yikes!) year on night-shift, raising two small children (with a third on the way!), and having "to-do" or "should-do" lists as long as my arm.  My home felt cluttered and overwhelmed as we were in-between two places for the past few years.  The extra space between two locations hadn't reaffirmed the "stuff purge" as I felt like I always had more space.  All in all, was juggling too much; I felt overcommitted--with work, with hobbies, with to-d…

Where have we been?!?!?!

Yes, blogging land, it has been a while.There's been a lot of transition for us in our little homestead, and nearly a year ago, we returned to the suburban life for the current time.Have we given up on our dreams of wide open spaces and green acres?  Certainly not.Is homesteading still something we love or would love to do? Definitely.Here's the thing. Homesteading is what you make and how you define it.  If you expect me to be a purist, you are far from mistaken about me.  My life is far from purist.  Bits and pieces of life are combined into a recipe that is of my own making and best suited to my own life priorities and goals. Do things sometimes get a bit mis-mashed and messy?  Yes.  But it is always worth re-tweaking and making something unique, beautiful, delicious.It's all in your priorities and goals.
 For me, having a manageable sized garden and quantity of produce is high.  Along with short commutes. And less stress.  And possible early retirement.  And extra time …

Taming the Consumerism Beast: My Minimalist Christmas

As we enter the holiday season, I have consciously been trying to be more mindful of the choices that I'm making and the example I'm setting.  Unfortunately, the holiday season has become part and parcel with excess--excess food, excess buying, excess debt, excess stress.
I want to do better.
The past year or two, I've been gradually shifting towards simplification and minimizing my life.  My schedule has been too busy, my home too cluttered, and my life just too stressed. And if we're honest, the holidays are no exception. We are consumer-minded, we don't budget for generosity, and we are wildly selfish, but carefully disguise this as generosity to our already well-provided for families, friends, and children (global perspective, people). 
I want to teach my children better.  And the only way I can accomplish this is to lead by example.
I want my children to learn that Thanksgiving is a time for gratitude, not over-indulgence. 
I want my kids to remember that Chr…