Skip to main content

A productive weekend

After my ranting over my investment company, I've decided that I need a bit of a break. The end of this didactic year is fast approaching and I need to not get worked up about something right now. (Plus, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I just ate something that didn't agree with me and I'm not truly sick.) I always seem to do that right around finals time! The two weeks off after I finish will be time enough to figure out what my company is thinking and what I need to do about it!

This weekend, was some chill time for me. Dan spent all Saturday at his motorcycle safety class that Maine requires prior to getting your permit. So, I spent my day doing a plethora of little things that had been needing to get done. Spring cleaning and the seasonal ritual of swapping out winter clothes for summer was accomplished. Next, I finally got around to making Italian Beef, from our dear friends' blog.

I didn't have and couldn't find the pickling spices at our grocery store, so I just googled for a recipe and came up with as close a concoction that I could find. It was amazingly wonderful and our downstairs neighbors asked us what we were cooking! Despite being a rather large roast, Dan and I scarfed it up by the end of the weekend! Definitely a new favorite! :)

Also, I swapped out my wreath decorations on our door. My mom always had a basic grapevine wreath by the front door that she would have me swap out the flowers with each season.
I also got around to planting our little "garden." I had been nursing these tomatoes upstairs in a windowsill for the past month and a half or so and they had gotten a bit leggy. Thankfully, you're supposed to bury tomatoes up to their first set of true leaves anyway, so the look nice and sturdy. We're supposed to hit 85 today, so they should love the sunshine and warmth! I'll probably have to drag them back inside, though, because we have some chance of frost overnight the next few days! Now to find another larger container for my peppers!
And finally, I had a bit of a three-day weekend, so after Dan got off work on Monday, we headed over the the DMV to get his permit. Here he is, taking his first real drive on his motorcycle! (I was leading for his first drive--I think I got some grey hairs, praying the whole way that no one would hit him or that he wouldn't hit one of Maine's millions of pot holes!) He did just fine and took it for a drive, solo to work! He's going to have a hard time adjusting back to filling up our 10-gallon Neon after using his 2-gallon motorcycle all summer!

Comments

  1. From seth
    Wow that si so cool . I have always wanted i motorcycle.
    Hi paige this is hope . Wow that is really cool. How much has he been driving it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Seth, yes, Dan is very excited! He got to drive it to work today!

    Hope, he's only really driven it twice--once after he got his permit yesterday and to/from work today. I think he'll be using it to commute all the time now!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Where have we been?!?!?!

Yes, blogging land, it has been a while.There's been a lot of transition for us in our little homestead, and nearly a year ago, we returned to the suburban life for the current time.Have we given up on our dreams of wide open spaces and green acres?  Certainly not.Is homesteading still something we love or would love to do? Definitely.Here's the thing. Homesteading is what you make and how you define it.  If you expect me to be a purist, you are far from mistaken about me.  My life is far from purist.  Bits and pieces of life are combined into a recipe that is of my own making and best suited to my own life priorities and goals. Do things sometimes get a bit mis-mashed and messy?  Yes.  But it is always worth re-tweaking and making something unique, beautiful, delicious.It's all in your priorities and goals.
 For me, having a manageable sized garden and quantity of produce is high.  Along with short commutes. And less stress.  And possible early retirement.  And extra time …

Looking back and Looking On: 2016 reflections and 2017 dreams

The blog has been quiet these days, but we've been busy behind the scenes.  At times, it feels like I get nothing done but keeping the kids alive and us semi-fed with healthy food, but we have been steadily plodding forward.  Here's where we've been. The Year of Simplify: 2016This past year really had me getting serious about taking stock of my life-how I spent my time, what was important to me, what I actually wanted to see and bring into my house.  I was getting pretty exhausted from working my 5th (yikes!) year on night-shift, raising two small children (with a third on the way!), and having "to-do" or "should-do" lists as long as my arm.  My home felt cluttered and overwhelmed as we were in-between two places for the past few years.  The extra space between two locations hadn't reaffirmed the "stuff purge" as I felt like I always had more space.  All in all, was juggling too much; I felt overcommitted--with work, with hobbies, with to-d…

Taming the Consumerism Beast: My Minimalist Christmas

As we enter the holiday season, I have consciously been trying to be more mindful of the choices that I'm making and the example I'm setting.  Unfortunately, the holiday season has become part and parcel with excess--excess food, excess buying, excess debt, excess stress.
I want to do better.
The past year or two, I've been gradually shifting towards simplification and minimizing my life.  My schedule has been too busy, my home too cluttered, and my life just too stressed. And if we're honest, the holidays are no exception. We are consumer-minded, we don't budget for generosity, and we are wildly selfish, but carefully disguise this as generosity to our already well-provided for families, friends, and children (global perspective, people). 
I want to teach my children better.  And the only way I can accomplish this is to lead by example.
I want my children to learn that Thanksgiving is a time for gratitude, not over-indulgence. 
I want my kids to remember that Chr…